Sunday, February 1, 2009

Change of scenery does a body good...

The ferry office was open today and I got my ticket! Maybe all I needed was some good luck, a change of scenery, and a little self-reflection. I took the bus just 20km from where I was in Puerto Montt to Puerto Varas and what a world of difference it made. This town has a much smaller, slower, quieter feel to it. It definitely reminds me of Cape Cod in Autumn with quaint wooden houses that wear a coat of bright paint to appear a little less battered. It gave me just the familiarity I needed and I had a slight spring in my step again as I walked around the town, just peacefully wandering.

Kasey, thank you for your kind words, they keep me afloat. And Michael, it`s all your fault, and though it sucks sometimes I am really glad for what it`s teaching me. In the end I really should just stop bitching. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to take this time for myself to explore new places and learn new things. But sometimes it just gets lonely.

I`ve been entertaining the idea of going to Torres de Paine, or the End of the Earth as it is often called. This would require taking a 4 day ferry or flying. Once there I would take a 4-10 day trek through ice fields, fjords, and battle winds that are frequently blowing at over 100mph. I would need to rent gear as I am grossly unprepared (tent, a real sleeping bag, camping stove, etc), not to mention probably needing to buy some essentials like socks, gloves, a fleece and other warm weather things. Everything about this endeavor would put me way way way over budget. It would be a great feat for sure, especially if I completed it solo. I might never be this close to the end of the earth again. But even though I would be proud beyond words after completing this type of journey, I think I would enjoy it much more if I had someone with me to share the amazing views, keep my sleeping bag warm at night, and to pick me up when the wind sends me toppling. Deep down I know I probably won`t take this trip alone, and I kind of hate that about myself. Maybe I will get another chance to do it someday.

1 comment:

  1. You know I'm in for that journey, and if we want to go back, we will.

    ReplyDelete