Thursday, July 2, 2009

Life After Facebook

A few days after visiting my farm I took off to MA for Katelyn's bachelorette party. We started the night off with dinner followed by an entertaining drag show (these are apparently really popular with bachelorette parties). After the drag show we headed to a dance club of Katelyn's choosing. This dance club out of all the others in Boston was particularly of interest to her because it had a mechanical bull and she was determined to ride it. I have to admit, the idea of riding a mechanical bull did sound pretty fun. Those of us who wanted to ride the bull did, with varying degrees of success. I think I did pretty well but I also didn't think it was very challenging. I hear that the bulls in bar that aren't dance clubs are a little harder to maneuver, someday I will have to try one of those out. You know, just to compare.

The week between the bachelorette party and the wedding was spent in MA at Katelyn and Sean's apartment. Sean had to work most of the week so I spent most of my time helping Kato with last minute wedding stuff and just hanging out with Esteban who came up from Colombia to attend the wedding. Somewhere during the week I tried to log into Facebook and found that my account had been deactivated for using a fake name. Apparently I jeopardized the integrity of their website. I responded with a scathing email and ultimately was told that my account would be reinstated, though I have yet to hear anything about it. Before we knew it the rehearsal dinner had come and went and the wedding had arrived. The weather held out just long enough for a beautiful ceremony which was followed by some curious downpours, hailstorms, and a brief power outage.

I drove back to my parents house from MA and had one day of much needed rest after what was basically a week of late nights and drinking. On the 30th I took my mom in for surgery on her wrist. After being in a cast following her dog attack in April she was still not healed so they decided surgery to screw the bone together was the next step. She came out of surgery fine but the following night had an adverse reaction to her pain meds which prompted a trip to the ER where we stayed for nearly 8 hours waiting to be seen by the doctor. We finally arrived home at 4:30am.

The Farmer's Wife gave me her kombucha mother so that I could start brewing kombucha for myself and my parents and I finally had a chance to make my first batch. Her mother had been sitting for a while and I'm not sure if it's alive or not. It's been 3 days since I started our batch and I think I should be able to see a new thin layer on top of the tea to indicate that a new mother is forming, but haven't seen anything yet. It's been cool here, so maybe the fermentation is going slower than usual. I'll give it a few more days to see what happens.



Only a week and a half to go before my farmer lifestyle begins... in the meantime I'm going to pretend I am a rock star. Tomorrow night I will be boarding a Greyhound Bus for a 15 hour ride to Grand Rapids, MI to meet up with Mike and the guys from Billy Squier. Mike's got a few days off in Grand Rapids where we plan on joining in on the city wide water balloon fight on the 4th of July. After that I'll get to spend a few days with him traveling to a couple different cities, sleeping in fancy hotels, and hanging out in the tour bus. Looks like I might even get to see Ani, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, and Toots and the Maytals for free on Sunday. It's good to know people who know people.

Until Facebook gets tired of my periodic emails demanding the restoration of my account I will appreciate the extra time that not having Facebook provides me. I still find myself updating my 'status' in my head though, which I find to be a little troubling. I'm sure I'll get over that eventually.

Shenanigans is researching composting toilet regulations in NY State.

No comments:

Post a Comment