Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No matter my mode of travel though Latin America I always feel like there is so much more to do, see, experience and I always feel like I am missing out on it´s true essence. The next time I travel here I don´t think I am going to try to do so much....or I am going to give myself a hell of a lot more time to do it.

I am here for 6.5 months, but the majority of my time will be spent in one place, on farms, in a specific area of a specific country. I feel like I am missing so many things, stays in the Amazon, trips up vocanos, train rides through the Andes, and so much more, just so I can ´get there.´ And then once I´ve arrived there I will be, in one place, for 3 or 4 weeks. I know this was my goal for this trip, to learn ancient organic methods of argiculture and ´live´ in a community for a little while, but I can´t help feeling like things are too structured or something. Everything I do and every place I choose to go and how long I stay is dependent on the next placement I have arranged.

Honestly, I am glad I am doing the trip this way and hopefully my Spanish will benefit enormously from being in one place for so long. Hopefully I will learn/do some really cool things that other travelers who saw all the sights didn´t get to learn/do. But I know I will feel some sense of regret and disappointment when I return and someone asks me if I (insert amazing experience here) and I will tell them no, I couldn´t/didn´t do it because I had to get down to my next placement.

There is just never enough time. I already know that I must come back again. Maybe that is the remedy? Just keep returning until I feel that I have seen it all? What is my compulsion to do such a thing anyway? I want the experience of traveling without an expiration date but seem incapable of planning such an experience for myself.

It`s supposed to be all about the journey right? Why am I always so focused on the destination?

.......................................

In a land that depends upon bottled water for drinking, how is one to make the least environmental impact while traveling? Water tablets? Buying the largest bottle reasonable?


Thoughts? Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment