Friday, November 28, 2008

Valle de Juvenitud Eternal

I arrived yesterday in Vilcabamba, or the Valley of Eternal Youth. I tried to get up and out of Cuenca early enough to make it to the farm last night, but of course, I chose to sleep in instead. As I was leaving the hostel yesterday morning I arranged to share a cab to the bus station with 3 people, 2 of which were also coming to Vilcabamba. When the 2 Vilcabamba bound (Amara and Jeff) arrived we hunted down a hostel (the first two places we tried were full) and then found a place to relax and have a beer.

Later that night I celebrated Thanksgiving with a French man who lived in Canada and an American woman who has lived in Nicaragua for the past 4 years. We had black bean soup (yum) and vegetarian curry (I have no idea why I thought this would be a good choice...it wasn´t)and a glass of wine. We had some great conversations ranging from the negative side effects of the birth control pill and the state of women`s rights in America to spiritualism and reincarnation...best of all, Jeff the Frenchmen picked up the bill!

When I got to town yesterday I asked around for Tina who runs the farm I am going to as I heard she might be in town. Usually, arriving to the farm involves taking a 45 minute bus ride from where I am, followed by a 45 minute hike. It would have been nice to make the trek up there with her. However, I was told Tina had already left town. This morning I overheard someone at breakfast talking about meeting a woman named Tina...I butted into their conversation and it turns out that Tina is still in town and is meeting people to go up to the farm at noon. She had been traveling for the past month and has apparently collected quite a few would-be farmers along the way and there is much to be done so I will be heading up with them today.

So, this is officially my last post for a while as I will not have electricity or any modern conveniences at the farm. I will have a sweet pàir of $8 4x4 rubber boots that I bought in Cuenca though. I am told they are the best and will not only protect me from mud and rain, but snake bites as well!

Wish me luck and I will check in when I can...otherwise I will definitely be in Lima Peru on December 26th to meet Mike at the airport.

¡Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it to the farm without any crises. Enjoy your respite from electricity. Give us a shout when you're back on the grid.

    As ever.

    ReplyDelete